Silesian sacrum - Silesian medieval art
[16.06 - 2.10.2011]
The exhibition has been developed in collaboration with the Silesian Museum in Opava as one of cultural events accompanying Polish Presidency in the European Union. The exhibition aims to present pieces of art from the time brackets 1200-1550, that is from the beginnings of Gothic art and restoration of Silesia after the Tartar deluge (1240-1241) until its decline, pursuit of a new style between the Gothic and Renaissance period to the times of Luther's Reformation. The exhibition is designed to recall the greatness and significance of religious art in Silesia in the Gothic period and it reflects the diversity of cultural influences that had modelled it, including political, social and confessional ones.
The artefacts shown in the exhibition include pieces of medieval art from the Silesian Museum in Opava and, for the first time after WW II, from the collection of the Silesian Museum in Katowice. Other precious artefacts that complement the exhibition come from the Museum of Opole Silesia, the National Museum in Warsaw, the Museum in Nysa, the Archdiocesan Museum in Katowice and Opole. The artefacts from museums are accompanied by pieces of art from Silesian churches, such as the St. Bartholomew church from Głogówek and St. John the Apostle church in Żory. The latter are chiefly liturgical parements of a high artistic value.
The ancient objects of worship gathered in the exhibition, simultaneously pieces of Gothic religious art of a paramount value, are complemented by photographs covering chiefly architecture, wall painting and other movable artefacts which for various reasons could not be borrowed to be exhibited here. So accumulated, they render a more complete picture of art that may be defined as Silesian religious art of the Middle Ages. They also help to remind the viewers of the great achievements of Gothic religious art in Upper Silesia.
Curators: Henryka Jarema, Andrzje Holeczko-Kiehl